Belgium: Statute of Limitations Amendments and Reduction of the Legal Interest Rate
On 10 November 2022, the Belgian parliament approved Bill 2899 version 005. This includes changes in the statute of limitation and reduction of the legal interest rate.
The following will come into force from 1 January 2023:
Statute of Limitations:
- 4 years where a return is filed late or not filed (new, previously 3 years)
- 6 years in specific cases – semi-complex tax returns (new)
- 10 years in relation to complex tax returns (new)
- 10 years in case of fraud (extended from 7 years)
- 10 years retention period for keeping accounts, invoices and other records (extended from 7 years)
- Objection period from 6 months is extended to 1 year
- No changes in the standard 3-year time limit where a return has been timely filed
Legal interest rates:
- 8% late payment interest for VAT from 01 January 2023 (currently 9.6% per year).6% default interest payable by the State from 01 January 2023 (currently 9.6% in some cases and 7% in others).
Stay Up to Date
Work with real VAT experts
With over 25 years of experience in the area of VAT compliance and consultancy, we handle all countries and languages where VAT obligations exist. We have a dedicated & centralized team of VAT experts, with a reputation of excellence within all global tax offices ready to speak to you about your VAT obligations.
For over 25 years Taxback International has been a world leader in VAT consultancy and compliance providing expert support to more than 12,000 global clients including Apple, Google, IBM, and Twitter.
With increasing digitalization of global tax processes, we have developed tailored technology solutions to solve challenges facing companies today.