International VAT Rate Round Up: January 2022
January 2022 VAT Changes in Bahrain
From 1 January 2022, Bahrain has increased the standard VAT rate from 5% to 10%.
There is a transition period of one year for the below scenarios. This transition period will end on 31 December 2022.
- One off supplies:
- If the contract is entered into on or before 23 December 2021 and the supply is made between 1 January and 31 December 2022, the VAT rate is 5% unless the contract is renewed or amended before the supply is made; and
- If the contract is entered into on or after 24 December 2021 and the supply is made on or after 1 January 2022, the VAT rate is 10%.
- Continuous supplies:
- If the contract is entered into on or before 23 December 2021 and the supply is made up to 31 December 2022, the VAT rate is 5% provided the contract is not renewed or amended in this time. If the contract is renewed or amended, 10% VAT will apply to the portion of supplied on/after the contract is renewed or amended; and
- If the contract is entered into on or after 24 December 2021 and the supply is made on or after 1 January 2022, the VAT rate is 10%. VAT rate of 5% will apply to the portion that is supplied on or before 31 December 2021.
January 2022 VAT Changes in Bulgaria
In 2020, Bulgaria temporarily reduced the VAT rate of some goods and services to 9%.
In December 2021, the Bulgarian parliament voted to extend the reduced VAT until the end of the state of emergency in Bulgaria.
The 9% VAT rate applies to the below:
- Catering and restaurant services;
- Books and other publications;
- Services relating to the use of sports facilities; and
- Tour operator services.
The 9% VAT rate also applies to hotel accommodation, but this VAT rate is permanent, not temporary.
January 2022 VAT Changes in Latvia
From 1 January 2022, the VAT rate on books and press in printed and electronic format will be reduced to 5%.
Below is a list of some of the books that will have a reduced VAT rate going forward:
- Colouring and painting books for children;
- Press publications; and
- Newsletters and other periodicals.
January 2022 VAT Changes in Romania
From 1 January 2022, the VAT rate for the below will be reduced to 5% if in electronic format:
- Newspapers; and
The 5% VAT rate already applies to the above in physical format.
January 2022 VAT Changes in Spain
Spain has announced that the VAT rate on electricity supplies will be reduced from 21% to 10% until 30 April 2022.
The VAT rate on the supply of masks is 4% and there is a 0% VAT rate on imports of medical supplies until 30 June 2022.
International VAT Rate Round Up: December 2021
If you missed last month’s VAT rate announcements or VAT threshold changes, you can catch up now.
Work with real VAT experts
With over 15 years’ experience in the area of VAT compliance and consultancy, we handle all countries and languages where VAT obligations exist. We have a dedicated & centralized team of VAT experts, with a reputation of excellence within all global tax offices ready to speak to you about your VAT obligations.
For over 25 years Taxback International has been a world leader in VAT consultancy and compliance providing expert support to more than 12,000 global clients including Apple, Google, IBM, and Twitter.
With increasing digitalization of global tax processes, we have developed tailored technology solutions to solve challenges facing companies today.
- Comply – End-to-end VAT compliance platform.
- TBI Pay – Streamlined cross-border payments technology.
- VAT Connect – Cloud-based, automated review of transactional data and images via AI and Machine Learning for Domestic and Foreign VAT Reclaim.