Italy: The deadline to transmit both the final Spesometro and first Esterometro reports is 30 April 2019.
VAT News Updates
29th April 2019: Italy earlier this year postponed the filing deadlines for the last 2018 Spesometro and the first 2019 Esterometro (relating to January and February 2019) to 30 April 2019.
In addition, the deadline for the transmission of Esterometro relating to March and April 2019 has been postponed to 31 May 2019.
It is expected that the Esterometro will become an annual, rather than a monthly report.
What are Spesometro and Esterometro?
Spesometro – Italian VAT registered businesses were required (from 2011 to 2018) to file a quarterly or bi-annual XML declaration to the tax office of all VAT sales and purchase invoices. This was in addition to the combined Italian Intrastat and European Sales Listing filing.
Esterometro – Resident Italian VAT-registered businesses must complete a monthly listing, Esterometro, of all cross-border sales and purchase invoices. This reporting obligation was introduced for all invoices issued after 1 January 2019, following the implementation of Sistema di Interscambio (SdI) live invoice reporting for B2B and B2C invoices. The Esterometro captures all the invoice not mandated for SdI live reporting. It replaced the Spesometro filing.
Key requirements of the Esterometro are:
- Monthly filing by resident taxpayers only.
- Listing of sales and purchases to or from non-resident customers and suppliers, including:
- Domestic supplies;
- IC acquisitions;
- Exports or imports without customs declarations; and
- Purchases of services from non-residents.
- Transactional data will include: VAT number of Italian supplier/customer; Date; Invoice number; Tax base; VAT due; exemptions.
- Due the last day of the month following the month the invoice was raised.
- The following invoices may be excluded:
- Any sales invoices reported through SdI. The non-resident is still entitled to a paper/PDF invoice from the Italian supplier since SdI will not issue it.
- Imports or exports where a customs document was raised since this will be automatically reported to the tax authorities.
- Non-residents are not required to complete the Esterometro, including for domestic supplies.
If you require more information on how Taxback International can support your business, get in touch today.
We know that Indirect taxes such as VAT and GST can have a huge effect on your business. As VAT rates change sporadically keeping yourself informed can be difficult. Compliance is always crucial. That’s why our Indirect Tax Experts share their hand-picked news stories every day that you need to know. From breaking news to VAT changes and new EU legislation. We know that relevant information means better decision making. We aim to be your number 1 source for VAT and GST news.
See more Taxback International Articles
French Tax Office extends June VAT Deadline
14 May 2020: The 13th Directive June VAT deadline has now been extended from June 30 2020 to September 30 2020.
Maximise your VAT reclaims to boost your cash flow
11 May 2020: June 30th is the EU deadline for reclaiming all VAT from travel and expenses for 2019- are you ready?
Global VAT rate changes: April 2020
8th May 2020: A roundup of all the VAT rate changes announced by tax authorities last month.