Poland: SLIM VAT Package
On 1 June 2023, the Polish president signed Act of 26 May 2023 amending the act on tax on goods and services and some other acts (Ustawa z dnia 26 maja 2023 r. o zmianie ustawy o podatku od towarów i usług oraz niektórych innych ustaw)
This Act introduces measures to simplify the VAT reporting obligations referred to as ‘SLIM VAT 3” package.
Effective entry into force of most provisions is 1 July 2023. (art. 35 of the Act)
Below are listed some of the VAT related measures:
- Small business threshold increase – from EUR 1,200,000 to EUR 2,000,000
- expected to result in an increase of the number of taxpayers entitled to use the cash accounting method and quarterly VAT settlements
- Resign from the requirement to have an invoice for intra-Community acquisition of goods (WNT) to be able to deduct related input tax on this account
- Correction of tax declarations changes – introducing regulations that enable submitting corrections to declarations outside the OSS and IOSS systems directly to the Lodz Tax Office
- Clarifications on the rules for applying the conversion rate for correcting invoices when the invoice was issued in a foreign currency – see Excerpt 1 – Table 1
- Proportional deduction of input VAT (taxpayers carrying out both of taxable and exempt activities)
- Introduction of the possibility of resigning from the correction if the difference between the preliminary and final proportion does not exceed 2%:
- Elimination the obligation to agree with the head of the tax office in the form of a protocol of proportions to deduct input tax. Instead, we introduce a requirement to notify the head of the tax office of the adopted proportion:
- Increase the amount allowing for recognizing that the proportion of deduction specified by the taxpayer is 100%, in a situation where this proportion exceeded 98%, from the current PLN 500 to PLN 10,000. The change applies to taxpayers who carry out taxable and VAT-exempt activities as part of their business and enables the deduction of the entire VAT amount in the case of taxpayers for whom a significant part of the turnover is VAT-taxable activities.
- VAT Groups – regulating the issues of transferring funds between VAT accounts in a group, i.e. introduce the possibility of transferring funds from the VAT account of a group member to the VAT account of a representative of this group
- Simplifications in the field of reporting settlements regarding invoicing – e.g.
- adapting the conditions for issuing invoices to e-receipts and
- keeping sales records using cash registers (e.g. the possibility of waiving the obligation to print fiscal documents by taxpayers)
- introduction of a new electronic receipts distribution system
- Tax Knowledge access facilitation – simplification – via
- consolidating the issuance of binding information by designating a single authority competent to issue WIS, WIA, BTI and WIP
- unifying the regulations on the rules for issuing and using WIS and WIA, i.e., binding information of a national nature
- eliminating the fees for the application for the issuance of WIS.
- Resignation from the obligatory issuance by the tax authorities of decisions on crediting the payment/overpayment/tax refund against tax arrears and interest for late payment
Stay Up to Date
Each month we feature the latest news trends and topics covered by the Taxback International experts. For monthly news and regulatory updates subscribe to our VAT Newsletter.
Work with real VAT experts
With over 15 years’ experience in the area of VAT compliance and consultancy, we handle all countries and languages where VAT obligations exist. We have a dedicated & centralized team of VAT experts, with a reputation of excellence within all global tax offices ready to speak to you about your VAT obligations.
For over 25 years Taxback International has been a world leader in VAT consultancy and compliance providing expert support to more than 12,000 global clients including Apple, Google, IBM, and Twitter.
With increasing digitalization of global tax processes, we have developed tailored technology solutions to solve challenges facing companies today.