Portugal: E-invoicing update.
VAT News Updates
9th January 2020: For companies established in Portugal these changes have taken effect from 1 January 2020.
The tax authorities have confirmed that the electronic issuance of invoices will be mandatory in Portugal, for both established and non-established companies.
For established companies, this requirement will come into effect on 1 January 2020 and on 1 January 2021 for non-established companies.
What are the criteria for these changes?
For both established and non-established companies, the use of a certified invoicing programme by the Tax Authorities will be required when one of the below conditions is met:
- In the previous year, turnover exceeds €50,000.
- The entity has organised accounting in Portugal.
- The entity is already using invoicing software.
What is the invoice processing requisite?
For non-established entities, the Tax Authorities have given guidance relating to the invoice processing requisites:
- Invoices (and national transport documents) must have a QR barcode and a unique document code from 1 January 2020.
- Invoices (and national transport documents) must be issued sequentially within one or more series and each series must be kept by a minimum period of 1 year.
- Invoices (and national transport documents) should be kept in a database – this includes credit notes.
See more Taxback International Articles
Portugal: New obligations to effect all VAT registered companies.
26th July 2019: By 31 October 2019 all companies must be registered in the central register of beneficial owners.
Portugal: new deadlines for VAT payments
11th November 2019: Taxpayers in portugal to have more time to make VAT payments on VAT returns.
EU VAT system amendments to come into force on January 1st 2020.
5th December 2018: The European Council confirmed four adjustments will be made to the current EU VAT rules in order to improve them.