Portugal: E-invoicing update.
The tax authorities have confirmed that the electronic issuance of invoices will be mandatory in Portugal, for both established and non-established companies.
For established companies, this requirement will come into effect on 1 January 2020 and on 1 January 2021 for non-established companies.
What are the criteria for these changes?
For both established and non-established companies, the use of a certified invoicing programme by the Tax Authorities will be required when one of the below conditions is met:
- In the previous year, turnover exceeds €50,000.
- The entity has organised accounting in Portugal.
- The entity is already using invoicing software.
What is the invoice processing requisite?
For non-established entities, the Tax Authorities have given guidance relating to the invoice processing requisites:
- Invoices (and national transport documents) must have a QR barcode and a unique document code from 1 January 2020.
- Invoices (and national transport documents) must be issued sequentially within one or more series and each series must be kept by a minimum period of 1 year.
- Invoices (and national transport documents) should be kept in a database – this includes credit notes.